Make up Monday | Getting to grip with Contouring

Contouring, a make up artist trick that has taken the make up world by storm over the past couple of years, is a skill up until recently I stayed away from. The thought of me contouring on a daily basis terrified me. I had images of me making myself looking like a clown. 

After attending a masterclass, I realised it is not as scary as I made it out to me and since then, I decided to give light contouring a go. Something I could do to an acceptable level. 

So if you're like me, here are my lazy girls/ beginners tips on getting to grips with contouring. 

Suck it up
First thing first, you are going to have to do the fish face. Unless you have already chiseled cheek bones (in which case, step away from the bronzer) to make out where your bone structure lies you will have to look slightly silly. It is fine. I was afraid I would get the wrong place or not be able to find it but I did. Give it a go. 

Keep it matte
Save the shimmer for your blush or highlighter and make the bronzer you use matte. There are many lovely contouring kits available at the moment from brands such as Sleek, Seventeen, Maybelline and more. Choose one that is not red toned and slightly deeper than your actual skin tone to help create the depth you are wanting from your contour. 

Pay attention to your tools
This is more personal preference but there are a couple of options for tools you could use to help contour. I like a brush that is similar to the ITA Kabuki Brush from NARS. I have a small face and I find this works better for me to apply the product. If you like more round brushes for this opt for something along the lines of Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt Brush. which is tapered. You should be able to get the same results we both. The Maybelline Master Sculpt Contouring  comes with a decent brush to start out with as does the Real Techniques Sculpting set. 

Build it up
One of the things that worried me about contouring is that it can look a little like mud on your face. The way to get around it? start by applying just a small amount of product and just build it up until it is at a level you are happy with. 

The main thing to take away from this? experiment have fun but most importantly be comfortable with the way contouring will make you look. Make up allows you to express yourself the way YOU choose too so have fun see what works and what doesn't. You have nothing to loose. 

Lots of love
Nafisah
bloglovin' | twitter

Labels: